20 Oct 2008

Osaka ni imasu!

Well, I reached Osaka at 3pm yesterday afternoon after a wonderful flight on Japan Airlines. One of the main differences is the hospitality. Outside the airport, men and women wearing pristine white gloves assist your every move. I got into a taxi and as we left the airport, a man in white gloves bowed to the cab. London could learn a lot from the Japanese.

I have attached some pictures of my first little perambulation around the nearby locale. Directly over the road from the hotel is a Zen temple, which of course I had to go and visit. After going in and washing my hands, I took some pictures which capture the serene ambience of the place.

There are also vending machines everywhere. On one of the pictures is a little old woman, who's job it is to clean them with a tiny brush. She then picked out trapped dirt on the machines with chopsticks, which you can see her doing on one of the photos. I have spoken to a few people that have had deep culture shock on arriving in Japan, but for me, there is nothing unusual about the way people are acting. I don't find the bowing at all strange and my Japanese is sufficient to get by, so I feel very much at home.


In a couple of hours, I am off to Awaji shima, where the residency will begin. But for now, please enjoy the photographs. You can click on them to see the larger versions.














3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the photos look wonderful and I knew you would feel at home for your time there. Keep this wonderful record up to date as we all want to share your experiences

Anonymous said...

That looks like your back garden, all you need now is a vending machine to attend to. Looking forward to the next installment. Make work, show people - the path to enlightenment. Julia. XX

Annie B said...

I agree - Japan Air is the best.