4 Dec 2008

There and back again..

After a radical re-think of the triptych, I decided that what had been printed so far was too based in representation and in a sense not at all the meditative images I wanted to achieve [not as a triptych anyway].  It was as if I was resolving the work for the viewer. I wanted to remove my 'opinions' from within the work and make it more reflective.  So, here are the finished pieces, which I am happy with.  I created two more kimonos and then inspired by the tokonoma zen scrolls, which hang in alcoves during the tea ceremony and other places such as ryokans, mounted them on paper with three different, barely visible landscapes sitting at the bottom edge.  I like the geometry of the final pieces and look forward to seeing them framed. They will be in a show in Japan next year and then maybe Russia the year after that.




Tomorrow I am going to Kyoto for four days.  On Sunday I am going to Shunkoin Temple to do zazen meditation and take part in the tea ceremony. I am really looking forward to this and it will be a nice personal farewell to Japan.  I have decided to not plan very much apart from that one trip and instead let Kyoto itself guide me round.  I am not going with any expectations and I think this is a good plan.  That way, anything can happen and probably will.

My mind is starting to think about home once more and hopefully inspiring people at work and elsewhere to try moku hanga.  Out of all the printing techniques I have learnt, this is by far the most challenging, but, I think, the most diverse in terms of end result.  The iridori inks I have been using are very different to regular watercolour pigment, so that has provided an extra challenge. It will be interesting to see what happens when I get back to the Royal Academy after Christmas and I look forward to seeing everyone there again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog. Have a good time in Kyoto.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Final versions looks great, they will enjoy their travels, I am sure, hope you enjoy the rest of your journey. Thanks much for blogging your experience :~)