16 Nov 2008

Residency..

As promised a couple of days ago, here are some pictures of the residency studio.  This is the view over Awaji from where my desk is.

This is the studio. 

And finally my desk.  Here all my brushes and carving implements are laid out ready for work.


And finally, this is one of the new blocks I have been working on since we moved studio on Monday.  I am creating three images, based on some of the patterns within Noh theatre. By patterns I mean both of the costumes that are worn during the performances and the patterns of movement that the actors use.  This is a five block print which will be built up in twelve passes. This is the keyblock, or to use laymans terms, the block that is printed first and every other block aligned to.


3 comments:

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Block concept sounds very interesting, looking forward to seeing more.

Annie B said...

Nice studio space. What kind of pigments are you using? Are you preparing from powder, or something else?

Jason Oliver said...

Hi Annie. At present I am using Holbein Iridori pigment, which is from a tube and then mixed down with water and nicawa.